About The Artist
The pure pleasure of form, color, pattern and texture are qualities I try and capture and convey in my paintings. My still life paintings and interiors reflect my love of everyday objects and the beauty of the ordinary.
My paintings, whether composed of fruit, flowers or dishes are sometimes based on reality, sometimes derived from my imagination--often a combination of both. I walk the line between representation and abstraction. Paint and form take on a life of their own. The texture of the paint at times is as dominant as the objects within the work of art. Color and pattern, whether derived from ethnic ceremonial costumes, 19th and 20th century stencils, swatches of fabric or even my daughters' own illustrations continue to influence my work. The interaction of color, pattern, texture and form creates a harmonious rhythm, keeping the eye constantly moving through the composition.
I've been influenced by many artists. I grew up in an artistic family, in which my father, a designer and painter, played a significant role in my artistic development. Matisse, Cezanne, Vuillard, Thiebaud and Janet Fish have all been sources of inspiration.
I hope with my work to convey a mood, to delight the eye, and to explore and capture the whimsical nature of life.
- Victor D'Amico Institute of Art, Amagansett, NY (2003, 2005)
- Vermont Studio Center, Artist's residency, Johnson VT (1998)
- Indianapolis Art Center, Indianapolis, IN (1994-1997)
- Silvermine School of Art, New Canaan, CT (1988-1994)
- Parson's School of Design, New York, NY (1990)
- Hamilton College, Clinton, NY (Graduated 1987 with a major in Fine Arts)
- Perkins Gallery, Pequot Library, Southport, CT solo exhibition 2014
- 4 North Main Gallery, Southhampton, NY 2012
- Art About Town, Westport, CT 2012
- Art in the Windows, New Canaan, CT 2012
- Pequot Library Juried Art Show, Southport, CT 2012, 2013, 2014
- Chautauqua Center for the Visual Arts – Fowler Kellogg Art Center, Chautauqua, NY 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Hamilton Makes Art 2 – Art Capital Group, New York, NY 2010
- Albright Knox Art Gallery, Collectors Gallery, Buffalo 2009
- Kenan Center: Lockport, NY (2008)
- The Buffalo Historical Society (2006, 2007, 2008)
- West End Gallery, Corning, NY (2007)
- Garrett Club, Buffalo, NY (2007)
- Spring Open Studio Exhibition, Tri-Main Center, Buffalo, NY (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012)
- The Collective Gallery, Buffalo, NY (2005)
- The Bryant Street Studio, Buffalo, NY (2003, 2004)
- Emerson Gallery, Hamilton College, Clinton, NY (2002)
- Hoorn Ashby Gallery, New York, NY (2002)
- Art Dialogue Gallery, Buffalo, NY (1999, 2000)
- Gloria Plevin Gallery, Chautauqua, NY (1997,1998)
- Indianapolis Museum of Art Alliance Gallery, Indianapolis, IN (1995)